Disabling USB devices is one of the effective methods to prevent confidential information leaks, data theft, and to protect computers from malicious files. USB devices are often used by perpetrators, and that is why it is important to protect the computer and the network from intrusion via USB ports.
StopUSB can disable USB devices thus minimizing the risk of connecting USB thumb drives, portable hard drives, MP3 players, iPods, digital cameras, mobile phones. One of the features of StopUSB is that a user can protect a USB device connection with a password. Thanks to this feature, disabled USB devices will not be an obstacle for trusted users.
It is necessary to allow regular users to continue using USB devices they need and that cannot be used to steal information or copy malicious files (keyboard, mouse, etc.). USB devices will not be disabled in this case. A user who has access to the program can configure the whitelist of devices that should not be disabled once they are connected.
How to disable USB devices:
- Download StopUSB from http://www.everstrike.com/
- Install and start StopUSB.
- Click the General Settings menu.
- Start StopUSB.
- Click General Settings.
- Enable the Ask this password for unknown removable storage devices option to protect device connections with a password.
- Disable this option if you do not need to protect removable storage devices connections with a password.
- Click the Set Password button to specify the password for accessing the program.
- This password is also required for connecting removable storage devices.
To create a whitelist of USB devices that should not be disabled:
- Start StopUSB.
- Click Device Whitelist.
- Add the devices that should not be disabled to the Trusted removable storage devices list.
- Click Add New to select a device.
- Select a device from the list. If the device is not on the list, connect it and then click the Update button.
- Click the Add to Whitelist button.
- The selected device should appear in the list of trusted devices.
StopUSB can be administered remotely and installed silently. One can enable total protection and disable USB devices of an entire network.
How to Purchase StopUSB