You can use Universal Shield's wizards to quickly encrypt one or more files. The contents of an encrypted file are scrambled, so others cannot open, read, use, or view the data. You could, for example, encrypt a Microsoft Word document that contained sensitive information and e-mail it securely to someone else. Note, you will need to have an installation of Universal Shield on the system where you decrypt the file (this can be a Universal Shield installation running in trial mode.) If the e-mail were intercepted, the Microsoft Word attachment would not be usable or useful to those who did not have the decryption password.
Note: The items you selected to encrypt remain encrypted until you decrypt them. Even if you DISABLE protection and delete the file from the Universal Shield window, the encryption remains in-place. For more information, see "How to Decrypt a File".
- If needed, run the Universal Shield software by clicking Start > Programs > Universal Shield and clicking the Universal Shield icon, or by double-clicking the Universal Shield shortcut on your Windows desktop.
- If the Universal Shield Wizard does not open automatically, click the Wizard button. The Universal Shield Wizard opens.
- Select Encrypt selected files.
- After you select the option you want, click Next. The Wizard leads you through the process of setting encryption.
- Choose the object you want to encrypt. For example, you might want to encrypt a Microsoft Word (*.DOC), so nobody else can use it. Select Encrypt a File.
- Click Next.
- Select the file you want to encrypt.
- Click Add to List.
- In the Select File dialog box, browse to find the file you want. For testing, choose a file that is unimportant or create a file that you know you can delete without harming anything.
- When you find the file, click it to select it; click Open (or, double-click the file). The file you selected appears in the Universal Shield Wizard window.
- If you want, you could select more than one file by using Add to List.
- After you finish adding files, click Next.
- Select the Algorithms you want to use from the drop-down list.
- Set your Password. Anyone who wants to use the data in your encrypted files will need to know the password to decrypt them.
- Click Start and then Finish to encrypt the files you selected.
- Click Close to close the Wizard.
- The Universal Shield window displays the files you encrypted.
- Using Microsoft Word, or other software that is appropriate for the kind of file you have encrypted such as Adobe Reader for .PDF files, open the encrypted file. If you try, either the file will not open or the file opens and appears scrambled an unusable.